According to the World Health Organisation, suicide is the second leading cause of death among 15 - 29-year-olds globally. Suicide phrases can offer a glimpse into a dark world, a depressed psyche which can allow us to intervene and provide help. Most often, simply talking to someone at the right time can make a world of difference and avoid a potentially fatal outcome.
We have compiled a list of 20 suicide phrases to pay attention to, as well as a collection of 20 famous suicide quotes, uttered by famous writers and poets who have struggled with the agony of deciding between life and (self-inflicted) death.
Famous suicide quotes
1. "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem." Phil Donahue
2." The thought of suicide is a great consolation: by means of it one gets through many a dark night." Friedrich Nietzsche
3. "The only difference between a suicide and a martyrdom really is the amount of press coverage." Chuck Palahniuk
4. "Suicide is man's way of telling God, 'You can't fire me - I quit." Bill Maher
5. "Did you really want to die? No one commits suicide because they want to die. Then why do they do it? Because they want to stop the pain." Tiffanie DeBartolo
6. "When people kill themselves, they think they're ending the pain, but all they're doing is passing it on to those they leave behind." Jeannette Walls
7. "Nothing in my life has ever made me want to commit suicide more than people's reaction to my trying to commit suicide." Emilie Autumn
8. "If you must commit suicide... always contrive to do it as decorously as possible; the decencies, whether of life or of death, should never be lost sight of." George Borrow
9. "Suicide is a fundamental human right. This does not mean that it is morally desirable. It only means that society does not have the moral right to interfere." Thomas S Szasz
10. "The obsession with suicide is characteristic of the man who can neither live nor die, and whose attention never swerves from this double impossibility." Emil Cioran
11. "Suicide, moreover, was at the time in vogue in Paris: what more suitable key to the mystery of life for a skeptical society." Honore de Balzac
12. "There are many who dare not kill themselves for fear of what the neighbors will say." Cyril Connolly
13. "Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you, and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live." Dorothy Parker
14. "What difference is there between a smoker and a suicide, except that the one takes longer to kill himself than the other." Jacob Blade
15. "If you ever think about giving up, remember why you held on for so long." Hayley Williams
16. "Because if you kill yourself, you’re also going to kill the people who love you." Anonymous
17. “But in the end, one needs more courage to live than to kill himself.” Albert Camus
18. “We cannot tear out a single page of our life, but we can throw the whole book in the fire.” George Sand,
19. “No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun — for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax — This won't hurt.” Hunter S. Thompson
20. “The bravest thing I ever did was continuing my life when I wanted to die.” Juliette Lewis
Suicide quotes - Depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, personality disorders, and substance abuse are risk factors. |
20 suicide phrases to pay attention to
Many voices claim that such expressions are only meant to attract attention; however, we cannot ignore the telltale signs of depression and mental illness which can potentially lead to suicidal thoughts and, worst of all, death.
1. I hear voices that tell me to “do it.”
Mental illness, such as schizophrenia, are among the leading causes of suicide and anyone claiming to hear voices should never be ignored.
2. I don't want to die; I need to die
Being in a constant state of depression can wear someone down and lead them to say such things.
3. I want to kill myself
Unsatisfaction with life can make some people have radial thoughts.
4. Dying isn't the worst part; it's living as if you were already dead on the inside.
Statements like these reflect the daily struggle of those who deal with suffering.
5. There is always a twinge of pain in every “I'm fine, thanks.”
It's important to look past first impressions and realize when someone is trying to hide a sad truth.
13. I don't remember a time my wrists didn't have cuts on them
Many of the people who have attempted suicide will try again within a year.
14. I'm not well, again
This feeling could trigger the onset of another suicidal episode, make sure you monitor the person and inform their guardians, partners, or the local suicide hotline, to raise awareness on the problem and find ways to help.
15. It won't be until I'm dead that I will truly be happy
There is a difference between making dramatic, off-hand comments and truly contemplating suicide which is why one can never be too careful.
16. You know it's time when the blade of the knife no longer hurts
Cutting one's wrists is another way of committing suicide, and if we hear these words, we need to take measures and ensure the person in question is not in danger.
17. I've lost count of all the times they've said things will get better
Feeling like you're trapped in a loop could cause many to jump to drastic conclusions.
18. To think I once believed I was going to get better
Many people are pushed over the edge when faced with disheartening news.
19. If I were to die tomorrow, the planet would continue turning, the sun would continue shining, and you would keep living. So, why not do it?
Sometimes, people feel as if they are a burden and no one will notice their absence. Make sure not to ignore these signs and to offer your support and counsel to those in need.
20. There is no bigger lie than life itself
Dissatisfaction with life often leads one to think about ending it.